Report from Telegraph, UK, 2006
The main rift (within Iran) is no longer between “reformists” and “hardliners”, but between the clerical establishment and Mr. Ahmadinejad’s brand of revolutionary populism and superstition.
Its most remarkable manifestation came with Mr. Ahmadinejad’s international debut, his speech to the United Nations. World leaders had expected a conciliatory proposal to defuse the nuclear crisis after Teheran had restarted another part of its nuclear programme in August. Instead, they heard the president speak in apocalyptic terms of Iran struggling against an evil West that sought to promote “state terrorism”, impose “the logic of the dark ages” and divide the world into “light and dark countries”.
The speech ended with the messianic appeal to God to “hasten the emergence of your last repository, the Promised One, that perfect and pure human being, the one that will fill this world with justice and peace”. World leaders could not believe what they were hearing. Their sneaking suspicion is that Iran’s president actually relishes a clash with the West in the conviction that it would rekindle the spirit of the Islamic revolution and – who knows – speed up the arrival of the Hidden Imam. (2006)
Islam – 12th IMAM (Feb. 2009)
“INSIDE THE REVOLUTION”
In his forthcoming book, INSIDE THE REVOLUTION, Joel Rosenberg explains the eschatology of Khomeini and Ahmadinejad, quoting both of them at length.
Rosenberg’s book reveals what Khomeini taught, and what those in power in Iran believe, as follows, a sampling:
1. The end of the world is near and the Islamic Messiah known as the Mahdi or the 12th Imam is coming soon.
2. The Islamic Messiah will only come when the world is engulfed in chaos and carnage.
3. Islamic leaders can hasten the arrival of the Islamic Messiah by annihilating two countries — Israel, “the Little Satan,” and the United States, “the Great Satan.”
4. It is not just possible, it is the God-given mission of Iran’s leaders to destroy Jews and Christians or force them to convert to Shia Islam.
5. Iran must rapidly acquire the technology necessary to accomplish genocide — namely nuclear weapons and intercontinental ballistic missiles.
6. Israel’s “defeat” by Hezbollah and Hamas and Israel’s divided election results indicate the Jewish states is increasingly weak and prepared for destruction. The severe economic crisis in the U.S. shows America is about to collapse as well.
7. With the U.S. and Israel so weakened and their collapse imminent, there is no incentive to truly negotiate with “Satan” and give up Iran’s pursuit of advanced nuclear technology.
8. However, there is an incentive to buy time until Iran builds, buys or steals the weapons it needs to accomplish its genocidal, apocalyptic objectives.
ISLAM: WHAT THE WEST NEEDS TO KNOW (1:38 DOCUMENTARY SCHOLARSHIP)