[Reader is reacting to this post.]
(Linda Douglass, communications director, White House’s Health Reform Office)
The only one spreading misinformation regarding Obamacare is you and Mr. Obama. He may now be saying we can keep our current insurance and doctor but that is not what he has said on the campaign trail many times. I see this current health care plan as a big power grab for government that will eventually lead to single payer plan.
We don’t need a completely new government bureaucracy to deal with this issue. And $1.5 trillion over 10 years is just the beginning. Are you familiar with Medicare and social security…you people can’t properly run those two programs. What makes you think you will do any better with a new mega program?
The country was built on individual freedom. We don’t need big government taking away our freedoms.
Here are a few private sector ideas you need to work…
- If the real objective is to provide health insurance for the uninsured then why not allow people the opportunity to pay a small fee to participate in Medicare?
- And, offer Medicare for free to those who are really, really poor?
- Why not provide a “health voucher” for those who are chronically uninsured? Of the 47 million you claim are uninsured there are only about 8 million who are chronically uninsured. Not to mention the 12 to 20 million illegal aliens who are not eligible for any kind of healthcare in this country. You need to help them back to their country of origin.
- Why not allow health insurance companies to do business across state lines? This would create instant competition all across America…this is your goal…right?
- Why not limit malpractice lawsuits (tort reform). Those who lose frivolous lawsuits have to pay all costs. Texas is a great example of what works…check it out.
- Why does Mr. Obama hate insurance companies and say doctors will perform unneeded surgery on patients just to make more money? Does he really hate free enterprise that much?
Also, just because I don’t agree with your socialized medicine and your plan to take away our freedom does not make me a bad person. So stop demonizing the majority of Americans who are sticking up for our right to the tell the government how we feel. Remember, you work for us.
Heritage Foundation PS:
The White House is losing the health care debate. Polls from National Public Radio, Wall Street Journal/NBC News, The Washington Post, Gallup, and Pew all show that the American people do not support President Barack Obama’s health care plan.